Thursday, January 15, 2009

Lemon Meringue Pie

Lemon meringue is my favorite kind of pie. And I'm kind of a snob about it. I don't want jello pie filling. I want good pie filling. This is my favorite. I've been using it for over 30 years.

Makes 1 pie

1/3 cup cornstarch*
2 tsp lemon zest
1 ¼ cup sugar
1/3 to ½ cup lemon juice (I use ½)
Dash of salt
1 baked 9 inch pie shell
1 ½ cups hot water
3 egg whites
3 egg yolks, slightly beaten
6 TBS sugar
1 TBS butter or margarine

Combine cornstarch, 1 ¼ cup sugar, and the salt in a saucepan. Gradually stir in hot water. Bring to a boil over high heat.
Reduce heat and cook until thick and clear—about 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
Mix with egg yolks. Bring to a boil. Stirring constantly.
Reduce heat and cook 4 to 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
Stir in butter and lemon zest. Gradually add lemon juice. Mix well.
Cool 5 minutes. Pour into pie shell.
Make meringue with 3 egg whites and 6 TBS sugar, by beating egg whites until stiff then add sugar and mix. Pour onto pie, making sure it touches crust on all sides. Brown in the oven.
Cool. Keep in the refrigerator.

*or use ½ cup sifted flour

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Lemon pie is my favorite, too! I can't wait to try this one!