Thursday, January 1, 2009

Easy Dinner Rolls

I make these most of the time. They're easy and anyone can do them. No kneading. Very good rolls. Sometimes if I don't have so much time, I just let them rise for an hour on the counter instead of 2 hours in the fridge. I like that I can make them way ahead of time. And I also like that I can shape and bake just a few when I want them and save the rest of the dough in the refrigerator for another day.

Ingredients:
1 cup warm water
2 packages active dry yeast
½ cup (1 stick) butter, melted
½ cup sugar
3 eggs
1 teaspoon salt
4 - 4 ½ cups all-purpose flour
Additional melted butter (optional)


Directions:
1. Combine the warm water and yeast in a large bowl. Let the mixture stand until yeast is foamy, about 5 minutes.
2. Stir in butter, sugar, eggs and salt. Beat in flour, 1 cup at a time, until dough is too stiff to mix (some flour may not be needed). Cover and refrigerate 2 hours or up to 4 days.
3. Grease a 13 x 9 inch baking pan. Turn the chilled dough out onto a lightly floured board. Divide dough into 24 equal-size pieces. Roll each piece into a smooth round ball; place balls in even rows in the prepared pan. Cover and let dough balls rise until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.
4. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Bake until rolls are golden brown, 15 - 20 minutes. Brush warm rolls with melted butter, if desired. Break rolls apart and serve.

Makes 2 dozen

No comments: