Sunday, February 20, 2011

Lemon Wisp

While I was at the hospital visiting with my brother, some of us went to the cafeteria for dinner. They had a dessert called lemon something, I can't remember. It looked so delicious. I knew it wouldn't taste as good as it looked. They never do. But I decided to try it anyway. I was right. It didn't taste as good as it looked! So I decided to make my own. That way I could have something that tastes as good as it looks. So here's the recipe I came up with.
Ingredients:
White cake mix and ingredients called for on box
1 lemon
Lemon curd or 1 can lemon pie filling
Wispy Lemon Frosting (Recipe follows)
Directions:
Make the white cake mix as directed on the box with the following changes:
Zest the lemon and add to the dry cake mix. Juice the lemon and pour into a measuring cup; then add water to make the amount of liquid called for on the package. Mix and bake as directed. I made two nine inch layers. If you have 4 pans, you can make 4 thin 8 or 9 inch layers and bake them for less time. I only have 2 pans, so I made 2 layers and split them into four. If you make 2 layers, slice them in half horizontally so you will have 4 layers. You could do it with only 2 layers, but it won’t be quite as good.

Cool the cakes completely, about 2 hours.
Place one layer on a plate. Spread about 1/2 cup lemon curd on top. You don’t want it to drip down the side or it will get in the way when you frost the cake.
Place the second layer on top of the cake on the plate. Spread with 1/2 cup lemon curd. Then put the third layer on top of the cake on the plate and spread with the rest of the lemon curd.

Add the fourth and final layer on top of the plate. Spread Wispy Lemon Frosting on the sides and top. I swirled it a little with my knife instead of smoothing it out.

I also made some sugared lemon curls for a garnish. Using a vegetable peeler slice off about 5 or 6 slices from your lemon before zesting and juicing. Roll the peel into curls and secure with a toothpick. Place into a small bowl. Cover with sugar and refrigerate for several hours. Remove toothpicks and shake off as much sugar as possible before using on cake.
Wispy Lemon Frosting
7 ounces (about 1 1/2 cups) Marshmallow Crème
3/4 cup butter, softened
Zest from one lemon
2 Tablespoons lemon juice
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
A few drops yellow food coloring
In a large bowl, beat the marshmallow crème and butter until well mixed. Add the lemon zest and the lemon juice. Mix. Beat in the powdered sugar until light and fluffy (about 2 minutes). Stir in the food coloring.

Hey! Look at this! I'm starting to look like a "real" food blogger.

No comments: