Sunday, April 19, 2009

SOUTH OF THE BORDER LASAGNA

I made this for dinner the other night. It was really good. I put 1/2 tsp each of chili powder, cumin, garlic powder and onion powder. I would leave the top layer of noodles off next time I make it. The noodles hardened when it was cooking to reduce the amount of liquid. I couldn't find the Taco Bell refried beans or salsa, so I used a store brand. I also used the store brand of cheese. It was cheaper. I don't know if the flavor would be different with the name brand. We really liked it the way it was.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees

uncooked lasagna noodles
1 (16 oz) can Taco Bell Refried Beans
seasoning to taste: chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, etc
1 lb uncooked hamburger
2 1/2 cups Taco Bell Medium Salsa
2 1/2 cups water
1 (8 oz) pkg Kraft 4 cheese Mexican blend
2 green onions, chopped

In large bowl mix refried beans, seasonings and uncooked hamburger together; set aside. In separate bowl stir together salsa and water. In a 9 by 13 inch pan, pour 1/2 cup salsa and layer as follows: Uncooked lasagna noodles (3 lengthwise and a short piece across the end--do not overlap) * 1/3 cup meat/bean mixture * 1/3 of the remaining salsa mixture. Repeat twice more, ending with a final layer of lasagna noodles on top. Cover with foil and bake 45 minutes. Uncover and let bake another 15 minutes or until water has finished evaporating. Sprinkle cheese and chopped onions on top and return to oven until cheese melts. About 5-10 minutes. Serve with sour cream.

No comments: